As someone who has worked in the field of law for a number of years now, I have seen first hand how prevalent stress is within this industry and the effect that it has had on the individuals who are practicing professionally.
Joining me today is someone who is combating that issue through specialized coaching and consulting, Sarah Tetlow! Sarah is a Legal Productivity Consultant at ‘Firm Focus’, a company dedicated to helping legal professionals streamline their workflow, better utilize their time management skills, and reduce the stress that many within the industry have suffered from throughout their careers. Through her work, Sarah has successfully assisted clients in managing their stress levels through productivity-based solutions that cater to each individual’s needs.
In this episode, Sarah shares her perspective on some of the common behaviors she’s seen within the lawyers she’s worked with and how her coaching methods have helped those clients create balance and efficiency in their work life. We also talk about the need to set realistic and measurable goals, particularly in this line of work, how technology can be utilized to amplify productivity, as well as how communication is such a vital step to ensuring a team is working efficiently and coherently.
To learn more, tune in to Episode 84 of Technology for Mindfulness!
Some Questions I Ask:
- How did you get started in a field that is so specialized? (5:30)
- What practical skills do you use when helping your clients? (12:19)
- How do you respond to lawyers who have a tendency to catastrophize urgent tasks and overwork themselves? (14:07)
- When your clients have a genuine emergency in their work, how do you set up a process that addresses and resolves that? (18:43)
- What could a client expect from working with you? (21:22)
- What do you take into account when interviewing new clients to work with? (29:56)
- Could you talk about how you help your clients’ reduce stress in their lives? (38:43)
What You’ll Learn:
- What Sarah’s ‘legal eagle’ system aims to achieve (9:44)
- How technology has permeated the legal profession & Created a sense of urgency around small tasks (11:19)
- What I’ve noticed about how lawyers respond to deadlines (25:50)
- Sarah’s take on using productivity apps and technology to help streamline legal processes and offload stress (27:18)
- How ‘proactive communication’ helps reduce the need to cram in work at the last minute (32:33)
- Why communication is so important, particularly now as most people have shifted to working remotely (37:21)
Connect With Robert Plotkin:
Connect With Sarah Tetlow:
- Email: email@example.com